Roy E. Lee Field
- Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
Roy E. Lee Field at Simmons Baseball Complex is the home stadium for the men’s NCAA Division I baseball team at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville. A master plan for the 40-acre complex was completed in 2006. Since then, Roy E. Lee Field has undergone renovations to provide up-to-date facilities to support the competitive nature of intercollegiate athletics.
Oates Associates’ involvement began in 2005 with the creation of a master plan for the Simmons Baseball Complex. The plan identified future improvements to the complex, including the construction of additional fields, parking and improvements to existing facilities. Thus far, Oates has been involved with the following projects at Roy E. Lee Field:
- Removal and replacement of the existing grass infield with synthetic turf.
- Design of a 1,760 square foot clubhouse and home team dugout. The clubhouse includes locker rooms, showers, a toilet room, trainers’ room and a laundry room.
- Preliminary design for a new visitor’s dugout, which is a concrete masonry unit surrounded by brick that matches the home team’s dugout.
- Research for new backstop netting, including costs and options.
- Upgrade of the parking lot from a substandard rock parking lot to an asphalt surface with associated sidewalks.
- Review of turf options and estimation of timing and costs to install a synthetic turf in the outfield.
- Conceptual design of the Alumni Deck, a covered, tiered deck with a snack bar.