Oates Associates is a consulting engineering firm providing civil and structural engineering services to the public and private sector – with a concentration in the transportation industry. Given strong improvement in transportation funding by the federal and state (Illinois and Missouri) governments, we are experiencing significant growth.
This new position is a result of leadership transition and will provide an opportunity for career growth for the right person. The position will report directly to the CEO. Bookkeeper and other admin staff report to this position.
Candidates should have a successful track record in supervision of accounting staff and development of financial statements as well as strong analytic, organization, and communication skills. This position has a key role in assisting our project managers – who are engineers and not financial people – with the financial and risk aspects of their projects. Therefore, communication skills with non-financial people is very important. In addition, they will assist management with important financial decisions.
Detailed responsibilities include the following:
- Maintain industry specific integrated accounting system, Deltek Vision/Vantagepoint (General ledger, payroll, invoicing, accounts receivable and accounts payable, project management).
- Prepare documents such as financial statements, project profitability reports, financial forecasts and statements.
- Develop annual budget, monitor financial performance and determine ways to reduce costs / improve profitability. Identify, monitor and communicate important company metrics (e.g. profit, utilization).
- Supervise employees who work under the controller in preparing client invoices, accounts payable / receivable, payroll, bank reconciliations, etc.
- Compliance with federal, state and local reporting requirements and keeping the corporation in good legal standing.
- Support collection of accounts receivable.
- Evaluate / maintain:
-Insurance (health, general liability, professional liability, w/c etc.)
-Appropriate levels of office space, office equipment
-Evaluate / implement major purchases
-Evaluate / select suppliers
-Maintain general office records
-Maintain accounting, banking, insurance and legal relationships
- Maintain overhead accounts and prepare FAR overhead statements for submittal to various state agencies.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field
- Management skills
- Experience with integrated financial management software packages, in particular in the A/E/C industry a plus
- Experience with Microsoft Office suite, in particular Excel, Word and Teams
- CPA experience a plus
- Federal Acquisition Regulation overhead accounting a plus
Salary commensurate with experience. We offer an excellent benefit package, annual bonus, flex-time, work-from-home options, a health and wellness program, opportunity for quick advancement and ownership potential. The firm is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer that is committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, natural origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
100 Lanter Court, Suite 1
Collinsville, IL, 62234